Causes of Mesothelioma
It is of common knowledge that Mesothelioma is considered as a very rare and terminal form of cancer which affects the humans as a result of exposure to asbestos. It has been known for almost a century that asbestos and cancer are co-related to each other. In other words, exposure to asbestos almost always starts the symptoms of cancer. For some extra knowledge, it is confirmed that there are seven types of asbestos altogether which are:
- Libby amphibole
- There are some researches which prove that even indirect exposure to asbestos puts us at risk.
So, now we are clear about the main cause of Mesothelioma which is exposure to asbestos. But what are the places where we can find asbestos? Let us discuss this topic now.
There are various places where the deadly material of asbestos have been found, we are focusing mainly in the state of California, that are identified as causes. They are:
- California is the state that has the third longest coastline in the United States of America. Also, it is of known fact that California mas 20+ major shipyards and these are the places where asbestos was used as insulation for the purpose of ship construction and maintenance.
- Oil Industry
- There have been proven record of 30 offshore oil platforms, 21 oil refineries and almost 50 refined oil product terminals throughout the state of California. Most of these jobsites have been in operation since the 1950s or even earlier. These jobsites have seen usage of asbestos throughout the process of oil drilling and delivery.
- Power Plants
- California is undeniably a huge state and it is of no surprise that it has a large number of power plants and most of them are fueled by gas. But, there are also great amount of coal, hydroelectric and nuclear plants. Power plants have traditionally used blue crocidolite asbestos to insulate from heat and electricity which are results of power generation process.
- More than 240 asbestos deposits have been discovered in California which include some of the largest known asbestos sites in the world. Majority of them have been in operation for decades. These deposits are other causes of asbestos exposure to human beings.
Apart from these four jobsites and deposits, there are other sites like the Superfund Sites that have used asbestos in the past for their work. These sites are considered to be causes of asbestos exposure.